A PASSAGE TO INDIA

'A TRAVELER IS BUT A PILGRIM ON A QUEST'

Monday, August 10, 2020

199. YOU CALL THIS ART?!





I thought I signed up for painting classes - I'm not sure what it was but it seemed more like a focus group picking our brains (or what's left of it) on Covid and preparations for the 2nd, even a 3rd phase. Some art & craft came into the picture but I suspect that was a distraction to keep us occupied in between the theory and paperwork. I'm past all this and I showed it, not showing much interest in the paperwork and passing up half-hearted attempts.

When I walked in the first day, I asked, where are the easels? Couldn't imagine painting on a flat surface unless it's rice paper...



Acrylic pouring is simple to produce nice pieces of artwork or to give wood, glass or anything plastic a fresh new look...like the chair below...



From this reusable bag I'm required to create something else out of it - since I wasn't enthusiastic about this whole 'painting' class, I came out with something quick and easy - by stitching a cut portion of another bag, turning that into 3 pocket compartments for small things, trimming it with lace to hide the school's name. Stitching it on by hand added to my misery...


A remnant of a cut bag was turned into this pouch, using fabric pen, I drew the fishy design on the pocket as I don't have fabric remnants. Twine was plaited to form the strap which can be used as a crossbody pouch for face masks, pens, tissue packs, even a mobile if the back was reinforced...




Tried hard to appear studious - it helps to be bespectacled...


I'm glad they asked to paint a tree as I could do one in 10 minutes!


lazy short-cut work - the other ladies spent so much time at home on it losing sleep over it - I'll likely fail the assessment, if I 'win' anything, it will be for short-cuts - but I wrote my suggestions for Covid phase 2, which is what the authorities want, to begin with...I suspect...


In the area of Creative and Lateral thinking and a right brainer, I think I'm doing ok - as I'm such a recalcitrant and non-conformist...!






S - substitute
C - combine
A - adapt
M - modify
P - put to another use
E - eliminate
R - reverse

Am told the assessments will all go to the Workfare people


I like this neighbourhood, coming here gave me a chance to explore the surroundings...



Being so close to the port, the early Chinese migrants set up such clan associations, which acted as their clubhouse and provided the support network for the weaker workers amongst them...


The Goethe Institute is a newer kid on the block, attracted here no doubt by the character of the place...as always, spiral staircases make me go soft in the knees





The Straits Clan - for members only, likely snooty but I'm happy to report Singapore isn't like that any more - I've been inside private clubs and the staff are pleasant and polite, members don't look down on those who don't dress fancy, at least not openly - I like that about Singapore - a few rare occasions there was snobbish behaviour towards members' helpers but after unfavourable publicity in the press, this doesn't happen anymore...helpers are allowed on the premises with handicapped/wheelchair members


Interesting neighbourhood...



Tan Kah Kee Foundation - a well known name that's associated with philanthropy


I've checked it out already! Thanks for the walkabout Tanjung Pagar/Neil Road!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home