A PASSAGE TO INDIA

'A TRAVELER IS BUT A PILGRIM ON A QUEST'

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

56. THE WHISTLE-BLOWER





That last trip to North India was an eye opener on that charity I was involved in. When family members are roped into the 'business' one can imagine the scenario. What started as a dream for its founder is now about ambition........to grow bigger.

A sister of its founder, who lives with several kids, bullies them and they live in fear of her. Her ill-treatment of them left me disgusted, I brought it up which of course made me a threat to her and it became unpleasant to stay on to say the least.

Another sister handles the cash. As the generous Singaporeans go about their busy daily lives in Singapore, are they able to see what's taking place over in India?

There's something about the folks over there - there's always this politics of power and control, they seem to thrive on this power play whether in Government, companies or within their families.

I left with a heavy heart last January. My kids asked if I'll be back, I had to say no but I promised them I'll do whatever's within my power to help them. They told me they did'nt want to live with their 'aunt', I said I understand.

The matter is now before a government agency. My courage of conviction - putting my head on the chopping board - was not appreciated by my 'friends' perhaps they were afraid the publicity would mean their friends, colleagues and families would feel cheated they parted with their hard-earned money towards this charity. 

I should feel it more, going there on my own time and expense, meeting potential donors and writing in for funding. At least when I saw things were not right, I wasn't afraid to be the whistle-blower. It would have been so very easy to walk away and pretend I know nothing.

My guy friends support me in this and appreciate my guts. My female 'friends' revealed their true colors by getting influenced by the charity's founder and his gifts (read: bribes) to one of them at least, who now acts as his representative. What was that I just wrote about the politics of control?


Time to move on with these girls, wonder if they have the same courage of conviction as I have to appear before the government agency to tell them I'm a liar and that I made everything up? They must be losing it - to endorse the mistreatment of disadvantaged young people by their guardian as acceptable behavior and the non-accountability of public funds as good. Geez.

Link:
Post 50 - Alone but not Lonely
Post 52 - Memories are made of These

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home