A PASSAGE TO INDIA

'A TRAVELER IS BUT A PILGRIM ON A QUEST'

Friday, November 10, 2017

163. LANTAU ISLAND











Flying to Okinawa via HKG gave me a chance to check out Lantau Island. I've not been this way for more than a decade and Lantau wasn't developed than. This may likely be the last time I travel this way as I found HK boring this time round. Lantau, even more so, it's like being in a part of mainland China - newly built up, touristy, a religious trap for 'pilgrims'....




This cable car ride gave me a good overview of this large island and the Chek Lap Kok Airport where I landed the night before...








For those so inclined, there's a trail to hike along the rolling hills...































In the distance, I see what they call literally ' Big Buddha'


The bronze image was put up by the Chinese Government so naturally it's placed to face Beijing

 

The 'town' is just touristy souvenir shops and cafes...


The Po Lin Monastery was given a facelift .... now looks brand new and bright




268 steps for a close up look - daunting at first, but accepted the challenge...


Almost there!


















Made it!
I was rewarded by these maidens waiting for me up here with offerings of frankincense and myrrh (I jest, of course)...there are those that believe they will be met by virginal maidens after blowing themselves up...when a destination is a trifle boring, I need to entertain myself...


View from the top


The Tai O fishing village on stilts is more my kind of scene...
It's like this place is stuck in a time warp but what a refreshing change from the mainland. Needless to say, its inhabitants are elderly and have lived here practically their whole lives








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home