A PASSAGE TO INDIA

'A TRAVELER IS BUT A PILGRIM ON A QUEST'

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

14. OF PUNDITS & OTHER SOOTHSAYERS







The fun thing about trying to discover more about myself is consulting readers of all kinds of cards, leaves and what-have-yous. The gang I meet at such gatherings are inevitably 'alternative' types who have left the mainstream or simply are lost and were looking for directions or answers or guidance. These types become victims of New-Age 'gurus', psychics and clairvoyant types and they end up spending a lot of money on these quacks. They may have some sort of abilities but most of them mix that with psychology, powerful choice of words and extensive reading to create a spin.

Having checked out a few and observing others, I can safely say, don't patronise those who claim they can see things, feel your energy, read auras or wave their hands claiming they can heal. A better bet are those who need to do some calculations or work with an almanac.

I like particularly numerology and palmistry as its so very personal and it takes a certain personality to master the science. I enjoy Astrology as that too is highly personal based on my time of birth, but I do not follow through with prayers at the temples after observing the priests mumbling while their eyes are somewhere else on some maiden across the room. In leaving the Catholic Church, I left behind rituals and ceremonies and have no plans to get back to the same sort of thing anytime soon, if ever.

The nadi leaves in Chennai blew my mind. I still can't get over how they zeroed in on my leaves. I like though, discovering quite a bit about my past life which explained my present. My conclusion is, we can't escape our karmas, no matter how much one can spend on rituals and ceremonies and gem stones, it will be necessary to go through what is already in one's blueprint. Lord Saturn makes sure of that.

 
I adore this old pundit in Mumbai who read from sheaves of old worn papers after measuring my height (?) and doing some calculations on my birthdate and time. I consulted him in years 2001 and Jan 2005. I compared the 2 readings and once again, it's another journey of self-discovery. Bearing in mind that everything is in a constant state of flux, readings are good only for a short period of time, perhaps 1-2 years.

There are 'alternatives' to everything. For want of a better word, these 'alternatives' have been around much longer, Ancient Wisdom before religions came along, folk healing and traditional medicine before so-called western medicine took over. I prefer the word Holistic....


I find myself going back to such healers - my chiropractor, my qiqong healer, my acupuncturist, my ayurvedic doctor, my masseur and my homeopathic doctor - they form my holistic healers who work together with my family doctor should I need healing....which thankfully, dose'nt happen often. I see my qiqong healer once a month for maintenance to keep the qi (prana) circulating, likewise, my ayurvedic doctor for massages according to the 3 doshas. Before I discovered myself, I scoffed at these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home