A PASSAGE TO INDIA

'A TRAVELER IS BUT A PILGRIM ON A QUEST'

Tuesday, September 01, 2026

262. BELITUNG - ISLAND IN THE SUN

 
















Washed by the clean, clear waters of 4 water bodies...it shows promise as the next Bali, as touted by their tourism body...
Singaporeans might find this their next playground as it's a short 1 hour direct flight from Singapore. 




Promises of things to come. Landing at Tanjung Pandan, the airport control tower is retro, quaint - this might be a charming cowboy town, it would be going back in time. I look forward to checking out its backwaters, if any...



The adorable tower needs closer scrutiny!



It's early morning she's up and about outside the airport. I made a purchase, it made her day, she was so very happy she took a selfie! That made my day! I don't shop much, when I do, I try make it sustainable shopping...
What's comical is - like visiting a settlement in a forest clearing to look at the 'natives' going about their traditional way of life when someone asks to take a photo with me and from his loin cloth, he whips out his i-phone!!!






They have a coffee culture in Indonesia, in big cities and small towns. They produce coffee and I've had some good ones in local coffeeshops. They drink it black most times, milk seems to be a no no...
At this coffeeshop, all orders of coffee come from this roadside barista parked outside the shop...he operates his cafe from his bike - neat, compact, efficient - he had everything on his workstation...how cool is that!

'Everything gets better with coffee' declares the coffeeshop - I drink to that!






This is criminal - they are endangered species but sold openly as pets or worse, as food. Societies go thru evolutionary cycles. One day with some enlightenment, they will ban the sale of creatures for food or as pets when it becomes 'politically incorrect'. Throughout SEA and in China, this realisation has slowly but surely dawned on its people when they become repulsed with the idea of dog meat, monkey brains, bear paws...seduced by the idea its good for their libido, health and wellbeing - only to succumb to cancer. Cause and Effect...

Leaving West Belitung, drove a couple of hours into the East, gave me the chance to look at the countryside. 
Stopped to look at this mine where a white sand is mined chiefly for white clay for pottery, the sand used locally in landscaping design purposes...

Was told our own Sentosa negotiated to buy this white sand but unfortunately shared the idea why they want it. The locals seized upon that idea, refused the sale, and now use it at the hotel, at a school I stopped at, and elsewhere, to be sure...






A lovely lunch spot in Manggar, East Belitung, overlooking the Karimata Straits. The kind of spot for mind body and soul alignment! 
To commune with the Elements, be at One with the surroundings, plug into Mother Earth, recharge one's batteries here! If I ever find myself coming this way again, Manggar is where I'll park myself...but Indonesia has many such spots and are not neccessarily in Bali.




These granite monoliths would be my favourite spot on this trip - a UNESCO site - the Belitung Global Geopark. Quite a collection!




Chiseled and polished smooth by wind and water into shapes, these resemble orcas and walruses 




They have their own character too! Like a whale raising its massive head out of the water to take a look around!











Coconut break - electrolytes giving me a quick pick-me-up!





An azure sky, an aquamarine sea, a creamy layer of powdery white sand makes this look like a 3 layer cake!


The boat stopped at this sandbank where one may jump off to snorkel or just muck about which we did...!



Drones are a wonderful invention, they take such fabulous pictures from angles which I can never get to...sharp and clear. It was suggested I get a palm size one but I wouldn't be able to use it freely. It might get confiscated and I'll be hauled in for questioning! Besides I never see anyone use drones freely at tourists sites, only at places that's non crowded or quite isolated, usually beaches and islands...
This drone was operated by the travel agent, once again for their publicity material using us as the calefares. lol!

The negative side of drones are - they are used as weapons of war... - boils down to choice and freewill  of the human species. An invention that can be put to good creative use or to maim and destroy. 




Fabulous drone shots of Lengkuas Island where stands this lighthouse erected by the Dutch in 1882 - the lighthouse still functions as one.
Belitung at various times in its history was in the hands of the British and the Dutch...





Colonial leftover - once restored this will make a nice hotel with character. Belitung shows promise but needs a lot of work and moolah, I give it 10years minimum to see some drastic change. For a start, the Geopark can do with some rustic style accommodations, small eateries with an international and fusion menu, water sport activities. It being a protected area, they will need professional expertise to make things more effective and efficient. And of course, training for all involved...




This is an interesting project in Gantong but I'm not sure if real education is carried out at this 'school' or it's a monument to himself - to honour a favourite son born and bred here - a successful writer who has probably gone on to better things in the big city. The venue is touted as a 'Word' museum, a literary center. Once done up it can become a venue for literature/poetry meetups. A library maybe. An art house. Something that draws the boho arty farty types! The man himself needs to use his fame/reputation to initiate a project.












Boneshaker

This is the white sand mentioned somewhere above...


This town produces most of their durians so the fruit takes pride of place at this roundabout smack in the middle of the road, as a marker...
At another place, a coffee producing region, the sculpture marker was a coffee pot! Neat! Quaint!


Durian fix - meditate on the thorns before diving in...


End of a glorious day and all's well with the group and with the world...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pics contributed by fellow travellers, our guide Budi, the travel agent, driver of KK Tour & Travel, Jimmy Ooi of ISE Travel, SG...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home